Free Mechanical Aptitude Practice Tests and Full Guide 2023
Mechanical Aptitude Practice Test
Mechanical Aptitude Tests is a general term for test assessments that measure your mechanical knowledge and mechanical understanding.
Potential employers typically use Mechanical Aptitude Tests to determine whether or not a candidate has a basic understanding of physical and mechanical concepts. These tests are used in relation to jobs such as aircraft technicians, machine operators, and auto mechanics.
These exams are demanding and you will have to prove that you can use mechanical principles to solve problems. But stay calm, because our psychometric test experts at Prepterminal have created a Mechanical Aptitude prep course.
Our course will provide you with all the material and practice you need to get a top score on your Mechanical Aptitude exam.
Our prep course features:
- Video-based and written materials for all learning styles – our course material has been designed to cater to visual, audio, and tactile learners, so all learners can easily stay focused and involved throughout the course.
- Exact information to provide for an accurate learning process – the physical and mechanical concepts covered in our course are the same as those that will appear on the real mechanical aptitude exam. You will learn exactly what you need to know – no more and no less.
- Reliable practice tests and practice questions – experience what it feels like to complete the real mechanical aptitude test when you sit one of our timed mock exams. Don’t leave anything up to chance!
Mechanical Aptitude Prep Course
- 1MA Practice tests
- 2MA Word Problems
- 3MA Number Series
- 4MA Lowest Values
- 6Mechanical Concepts
- 10MA Spatial Awareness
- 11Tools, Materials, and Equipment
- 12Electronics and PLC
- 13Electrical Theory and Control CircuitsBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 14Test Instruments
- 15Pneumatics and Hydraulics
- 16Power Transmission and Preventive MaintenanceBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 17Maintenance Technician Test Final Quizzes
- 18BONUS Interview Prep Video GuideBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 22Wheels & Belts
- 23Pulley Systems
- 26Circular Motion
- 27Other Simple Machines
- 28MA Intro and StrategyBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 29Gas Pressure
- 30Electrical Circuits
- 31Series & Parallel Circuits
- 32Electric Power
- 34MA Non-Verbal Analogies
- 35MA Inductive Reasoning
Mechanical Aptitude Tests Topics
Mechanical aptitude test questions can be categorized into the following eight subjects:
1. Basic Physical Forces
You will likely need to have an appreciation of different energy forces, including heat, gravity, velocity, and friction. You will be expected to show how these physical concepts can be applied to everyday situations, by predicting the way objects act when subjected to different forces.
You will be shown pictures of levers with weights attached to either side of the fulcrum. You will be asked to answer questions about balance, weight, spacing, and the mechanical benefits of levers.
- If there is a gain in force, there is a loss in distance
- The mechanical advantage is the ratio of the load to the force
- In simple machines there is a gain in work
- 1:1 & 2
- 2:2 & 3
- 3:1 & 3
You will be presented with a picture of a pulley(s) and you will need to respond to questions related to the structure of the pulley system, or the force required to move or lift a weight.
- 1:T = 1.6 N; Δh = 1.2 m
- 2:T = 1.2 N; Δh = 0.9 m
- 3:T = 2.4 N; Δh = 1.8 m
You will be shown an image of gears and will need to respond to questions about the speed and the direction of the various gears.
- 3:The rack will not move as pinions cancel each other movement
Every question will show a spring, and ask you to calculate your answers based on force, compression, and distance.
- 1:1680 N
- 2:1200 N
- 3:720 N
Simple electrical currents
Once you look at simple diagrams of electrical currents, you will have to answer questions about switches, wiring paths, power sources, and loads.
Hydraulics relates to the use and mechanical properties of liquids. You will be asked questions about the transmission of power via the use of pipe flow, pressurized liquids, dam design, and the like.
You will need to recognize tools and understand the tasks for which they are employed.
Mechanical Aptitude Test FAQs
What questions can you expect to see on a mechanical aptitude test?
- Mechanical Comprehension – Mechanical Comprehension (also called mechanical reasoning) is the capacity to grasp mechanical and physical concepts.
- Mechanical Knowledge – Mechanical Knowledge questions measure your knowledge of basic (auto) mechanics and physics.
- Electronics Knowledge – Electronics Knowledge questions measure your understanding of basic electronic theory and simple electronic circuits.
- Mechanical Tools – To solve Mechanical Tool questions, you must know the look, names, land purpose of the most widely used tools.
What score do I need to pass a mechanical aptitude test?
You will need to achieve a score of 80% or more to progress in the hiring process. To pass, you will have to show an understanding of simple machines, mechanical comprehension, and knowledge of basic physical forces.
What is the format of the Mechanical Aptitude test?
Mechanical aptitude tests typically share the following things in common. Nearly every question starts with some sort of diagram, which you must understand before you can find the solution to the problem. They are generally multiple-choice tests that come with a time-limit.
How long is the Mechanical Aptitude test?
These are generally timed multiple-choice tests. You will typically have less than a minute to complete each question on a mechanical aptitude exam.