SIFT Practice Test and Study Guide
The SIFT test (Selection Instrument for Flight Training) is needed for acceptance to the U.S. Army Warrant Officer Flight Training (WOFT) program.
The Army Aviation SIFT test is created to measure your aptitude and knowledge in mechanical concepts, basic flight rules, and aerodynamic principles, aviation-related terminology, and helicopter functions and components.
Prepterminal has prepared a short practice test, so you can get a taste of what is going to be on the real exam.
Take the Free Sift Practice Test
SIFT Prep Course
- 2BONUS Interview Prep Video GuideBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 3Clock Hands Patterns
- 4Inductive Reasoning
- 5Non-Verbal Analogies
- 6Spatial AwarenessBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 9Verbal Reasoning
- 10Formal Logic
- 11SIFT Full Mechanical Comprehension Test
- 12Gas Pressure
- 15Mechanical Concepts
- 16Fluids - Buoyancy
- 17ArithmeticBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 18Circular Motion
- 21Other simple machines
- 22Pulley Systems
- 23Wheels & Belts
- 26Speed, Velocity, and Acceleration
- 27Newton Laws
- 28Types of motion. Reference point. Position.Buy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 29Army Aviation Information
- 30Advanced Algebra & GeometryBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- Radical and Rational Equations
- Polynomial Equations
- Exponential and Logarithmic Equations
- Factoring Practice Test
- Quadratics Practice Test
- Functions Practice Test
- Radical and Rational Equations Practice Test
- Polynomial Equations Practice Test
- Exponential and Logarithmic Equations Practice Test
- Trigonometry Practice Test
- 31Basic Algebra & GeometryBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- Geometry Concepts
- Geometry Concepts Practice Test
- Descriptive Statistics Practice Test
- Probability Sets Practice Test
- Linear Applications and Graphs Practice Test
- Linear Equations Practice Test
- Exponents Practice Test
- Ratio and Proportions Practice Test
- Rational Numbers Practice Test
- Rational Numbers
- Descriptive Statistics
- Probability Sets
- Linear Applications and Graphs
- Linear Equations
- Algebraic Expressions
- Ratio and Proportion
What does the SIFT Exam Include?
The SIFT test is an assessment of several aptitudes:
The Simple Drawing part of the army SIFT test features 100 questions and needs to be completed in only 2 minutes. This part of the test is to assess your capacity to quickly identify images and to decipher a difference between the given options.
In the Hidden Figures section, you will have 5 minutes to complete 50 questions, which means you have about 6 seconds for each question. This section is designed to test your skill to quickly find hidden shapes inside a drawing.
The Army Aviation Information part of the exam features 40 questions that need to be completed in only 30 minutes. This section was created to assess your knowledge of fundamental aviation concepts, information, and history.
It is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the following:
- Army Aviation History
- General Aviation Knowledge
- Aircraft Component
- Aircraft Mechanics
- Principles of Flight
- Commonly Used Aviation Phrases and Words
In the Spatial Apperception section, you will be presented with an image of a horizon that typically contains water, land, and some sort of identifiable feature. The picture is shown as if you were viewing it from a cockpit. It is your task to assess which way the aircraft is going based on the image given to you.
Here, you will be presented with a passage of text to read through and a few questions that relate to the text. The test features 20 questions and you have 30 minutes to complete the section.
In the Math Skills part, you will be given 30-40 questions and will be allotted 40 minutes to complete the test. This part of the test uses an adaptive testing system where the number of questions and sorts of questions will vary depending on your answer and what questions you end up answering incorrectly.
To prepare for this section of the SIFT test it is recommended that you have a look at the following topics:
- Algebraic Expressions
- Binomial and Trinomial Operations
- Basic Trigonometry
- Ratios, Fractions, and Percentages
- Word Problems
- Mathematics Principles
- Volume Equations and Geometric Area
- Geometric Principles
- Rate Calculations
The Mechanical Comprehension Test section averages between 20-30 questions, and needs to be completed within 15 minutes. This section of the exam uses a mixture of mathematics, physics principles, and scientific theory. The following are some of the topics you will need to be familiar with:
- Laws of Physics
- Principles of Heat Transfer
- Fluid Dynamics Theories
- Gear Operations
- Force Calculations and Relations
- Simple Machines and Connected Calculations
- Work Equations
- Inter-connectivity of Systems and How they Work
Where do you have to Go to Pass the SIFT Exam?
If you are currently in the military, you should get in touch with your local servicing education center. If you are a WOFT applicant, you will need to contact a recruiter. The recruiter will help you schedule a test time and date.
Locations that typically administer the SIFT are:
- Military Entrance Processing Stations
- Post-servicing Education Centers
- Military Academies / ROTC Programs
You will need to schedule your SIFT exam at the place in which you intend to take the test.
How is the SIFT Scored?
A test-takers SIFT score can range from 20 to 80. If you are to be considered for further aviation training you will need to score a minimum of 40.
Your result, be it a pass or a fail, will be generated immediately once you have finished the exam. You will be told to see the Test Control Officer or Test Examiner receive your score letter. The score letter needs to be signed by the Control Officer or Examiner in order to be official and valid.
How Many Times Can I Take the Sift Test?
3 Top Tips on How to Prepare for the Sift Test
Tip #1. Study hard leading up to the exam
It’s a good idea to take your studies seriously leading up to the exam, but to take it easy the night before, rather than trying to cram in some last-minute knowledge. You can use a SIFT practice test.
Tip #2. Sleep well and eat well
Make sure you get around 7-8 hours of sleep the night before the exam. Set your alarm so that you have enough time to get ready without being rushed. Prepare a well-balanced meal before you leave for the test.
Tip #3. Don’t dwell on one question
Try not to get stuck on one particular problem, particularly if time is an issue. Make a note of it, move on, and return to it later if you have time. Sometimes when you return to a problem later on the answer becomes apparent.
Prepare With Prepterminal’s SIFT Comprehensive Course & Study Guides
Applicants can only take the SIFT test twice in their lifetime. If a candidate takes the SIFT the first time and passes, this score becomes permanent. Furthermore, the candidate will not get another chance to retake the test to improve their score, even if they are unhappy with their score. If an individual fails twice, they cannot retake the exam and will not be able to proceed with their aviation training.
Given this, it is essential that you put in your maximum effort when preparing for and taking the test, which means thoroughly practicing for the day of the test.
At PrepTerminal our experienced team of psychometric test experts has developed a tailor-made module-based course to provide you with the material you need to successfully complete the test.
Our course includes SIFT practice test-style questions and quizzes so you can monitor your progress and familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions of the test. The comprehensive video and text-based content can be accessed at any time once you enroll, so you can advance at your own pace.
Start practicing today with PrepTerminal and get one step closer to achieving a top score on your SIFT test.