Ace the FDNY Firefighter Exam: Join FDNY in 2024
The FDNY exam is a firefighter aptitude test administered by the New York City Fire Department once every four years. It is an assessment tool used by the FDNY.
- Length: 4 hours
- Question categories: 6 sections
Prepterminal’s FDNY Firefighter Exam Prep Course is your best option when it comes to preparing for this challenging exam. You won’t get a second chance for four years if you don’t come out on top in this exam, so it’s critical that you take the necessary steps to get ahead right now. Our 18-module course is packed with in-depth instructional guides and realistic practice tests to make sure you’re in top shape for exam day. Get started now to take the first step towards securing a life-changing career!
Introduction to the FDNY Exam
The FDNY test itself does not require the candidate to have any special knowledge of firefighting or the Fire Department. Yet, it will include multiple-choice questions on reading, problem-solving, and applying rules and concepts.
Only after you manage to pass this FDNY firefighter written exam will you be allowed to go on to the next part of the application process. This is the in-person interview with an experienced or senior FDNY officer or a panel of FDNY officers.
FDNY Application Process
The application process for becoming an FDNY firefighter is as follows:
- Apply for the written exam
- Take the written exam
- Take the physical exam
- Pass medical (including drugs), background, and psychological checks
- Graduate from their academy; an 18-week classroom-based and physical course which prepares you for the role and gives you the mandatory training and qualifications all of their working firefighters need, including Certified First Responder.
FDNY Exam Entry Requirements
In order to be eligible to sit the FDNY test, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be between 17 ½ and 29 years of age (up to 36 if you were in the military)
- Be a US Citizen and have proof of this (e.g., birth certificate, driver’s license, military ID, passport)
- Hold a GED or high school or college diploma/degree
- Hold a driver’s license which is valid in New York State
- Be a resident of New York City, Westchester County, Nassau County, Orange County, Putnam County, Rockland County or Suffolk County.
- You are required to bring an ID to the test on exam day to provide proof that you are the applicant. The whole exam is around four hours long.
FDNY Firefighter Exam Prep Course
- 1Pulley Systems
- 2CLOZE style & SJT
- 3Map Reading
- 4Piping, valves and pumps
- 5Mechanical Concepts
- 7Other Simple Machines
- 9Wheels & Belts
- 10BONUS Interview Prep Video GuideBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 11Gas Pressure
- 13Mathematical practice tests
- 14Fractions and Fractional MagnitudesBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- Comparison of Fractional Magnitudes – Written Guide
- Fractional Units of Measure including Units of Time – Written Guide
- Fractional Monetary Units – Written Guide
- Proper and Improper Fractions and Mixed Numbers -Written Guide
- Comparison of Fractional Magnitudes
- Fractional units of measure including units of time, English and Metric units of length, weight and distance
- Fractional Monetary Units
- Proper and Improper Fractions
- 15Geometrical Figures and GraphsBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- Computation and Identification of Magnitude of Lengths - Written Guide
- Evaluation and Interpretation of Line, Bar or Pie Graphs - Written Guide
- Computation and identification of magnitude of lengths, angles, areas and volumes of plane and solid geometric figures
- Evaluation and interpretation of line, bar or pie graphs
- 16Ratio, Proportion and PercentagesBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 17Numbers - Operations With Whole NumbersBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- Whole Monetary Units – Written Guide
- Whole Units of Measure Including English – Written Guide
- Evaluation, simplification and solving of variable expressions and equations-Written Guide
- Whole Numbers -Written Guide
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division -Written Guide
- Whole Numbers Questions
- Evaluation, simplification and solving of variable expressions and equations
- Whole Monetary Units
- Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division Questions
- Whole units of measure including English and Metric units of time, length, weight, and distance
- 181/2/3/4 Operations
What does the FDNY Exam Include?
The competition to join the FDNY is tough. This means that if you want to work for them as a firefighter, you need to achieve very good results in your FDNY exam.
FDNY Test Firefighter Written Exam
There are three sections on the FDNY Firefighter written exam:
- Video learning
- Reading comprehension & basic math questions
- Background and personality test.
This section of the FDNY exam has three sections. These sections assess your listening comprehension skills, your ability to process new information, and your reasoning skills.
Reading Comprehension & Basic Math
The next section of the FDNY exam is based on the material contained in an operations manual. A total of three different passages will be presented to you, each followed by a set of questions, which you will need to answer. There will also be basic math questions in this section as well.
Background and Personality Test
The last part of the FDNY exam evaluates your personality and verifies whether you have the necessary traits to be a firefighter. The qualities that the test is designed to estimate are conscientiousness, agreeableness, emotional stability, honesty, and dependability, among others.
This test is different from other firefighter exams. Thus, it is important to practice with a firefighter exam prep course study guide – like that offered by Prepterminal.
FDNY Test Firefighter Physical Exam
Also known as a CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test). This part of the FDNY exam ensures you have the level of fitness required of a firefighter by taking you through several physical exercises.
The exercises used in the CPAT are as follows:
- Strict Press
- Air Squats
- Walking Lunge
- Farmer’s Carry
If you are a candidate that managed to score 100 or higher in the FDNY exam, you will then be invited to the CPAT for practice sessions. If you managed to pass one out of the two practice sessions, you will have to have passed the CPAT.
Why Should I Join the FDNY & Pass the FDNY Exam?
Firefighters in New York have some of the best career benefits, including a starting salary of $43,904 with a five-year potential to earn up to $100,000 as well as comprehensive health insurance and one of the most generous pension schemes for civil service workers.
How Prepterminal’s FDNY Exam Prep Can Help
The FDNY exam is a challenging test to get through because most people only have one or two chances to get it right.
Our comprehensive FDNY Exam Prep Course is designed by firefighting experts and fire department professionals. Our full curriculum-based course provides a structured learning experience that covers everything in the FDNY exam.
Our prep course has study guides, video guides, firefighter practice tests, and questions that contain all the subjects, questions, and question formats that will appear in the actual FDNY exam.
Here at Prepterminal, we know that there are no bad test-takers, only ones that are more informed and more prepared. Secure your future at the FDNY by studying and practicing today with our FDNY Exam Prep Course today!