Ace the 2023 Hogan Personality Inventory With Expert Guide & Mock Test
Taking the Hogan Personality Inventory (HPI) can be demanding. You may not know what your potential employer expects of you. Our Hogan HPI study guide will help you answer the Hogan personality test correctly and show you how to provide your employer with the answers they are looking for without lying about yourself.
- Length: 15-20 minutes average completion time
- Number of questions: 206 questions
Key Features of the Hogan Personality Inventory (HPI)
The HPI test or Hogan Personality Inventory is a personality assessment that employers use to gauge the typical or “bright-side” characteristics of your personality. Employers use assessments like the HPI to see whether you have the required traits to fulfill the job role and fit in with the culture and standards of the company. The HPI features 220 questions based on a 4-point Likert scale. The exam is founded on the Five-Factor Model of Personalities and is typically completed within 15-20 minutes.
What Is the Normal (Bright-Side) Personality?
The Hogan Personality Inventory is a flexible tool focused on the normal or “bright side” personality traits – characteristics that detail how we interact with others when performing at our best. The HPI is connected to on-the-job performance and offers in-depth insight into how individuals lead and act on the job. The test can be used for hiring and selection and personal and leadership growth and development.
Rapid Hogan Assessment Course
- 1BONUS Interview Prep Video GuideBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 2IntroductionBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 3The Hogan Personality Inventory, Origins and ScalesBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 4The Seven Job Families and Their Recommended ScalesBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 6Deductive Reasoning
- 7Inductive Reasoning
- 8HBRI Practice Tests
- 9Hogan Scales Practice
What is the Hogan Personality Inventory Comprised of?
The Hogan Personality Inventory is made up of seven primary scales, six occupational scales, and 42 subscales.
Your normal personality is measured according to the following seven (7) scales:
- Adjustment: This scale evaluates your self-esteem, self-confidence, and ability to work when under pressure.
- Ambition: This scale indicates your desire to lead, initiative, and overall level of competitiveness.
- Sociability: This scale assesses just how much you require social interaction and how extroverted you are.
- Interpersonal Sensitivity: This scale evaluates your tact, likeability, and relationship maintenance ability.
- Prudence: This scale assesses your levels of self-discipline, responsibility, and how thorough you are.
- Inquisitive: This scale evaluates your aptitude for curiosity, creativity, and imagination.
- Learning Approach: This scale assesses your level of benefit and happiness when it comes to learning and your drive to keep up with current information.
The Hogan Personality Inventory also seeks to predict your work performance by measuring six (6) occupational scales:
- Service Orientation
- Stress Tolerance
- Clerical Potential
- Sales Potential
- Managerial Potential
The optimal score for each personality trait varies from job to job.
HPI Sample Questions
While this may seem nonsensical, the trait being measured here is that of an applicant’s ‘sociability’ according to the Hogan Personality Inventory, and if you want to highlight your ability to socialize with customers or coworkers, you must answer positively to this statement. However, if the statement is an ‘extreme’ like ‘I am considered to be everyone’s best friend back at school’, then it will be understandable to pick B or C as this will show you as someone that’s being honest and not just an applicant that’s forging their personality profile to make themselves look better.
This statement aims to measure your trait of ‘ambition’; if you think that being ambitious is essential to the job position that you are applying for, then you must answer positively. Generally, having a good level of ambition is seen as a plus in most industries/companies.
The ‘correct’ answer will depend on the nature of the industry that you are entering. For example, if you are applying for a position where getting everything done as fast as possible is needed, then choosing A will be the best choice. However, suppose you are entering an industry where you have to be scrutinous as possible in your work and make sure that NOTHING wrong can happen or that no mistakes should go through. In that case, you should answer C as this will prove that you are someone that takes their time and is meticulous with their work so that the quality of their products or services is not questioned.
Prepare for the Hogan HPI with Prepterminal’s Course
The HPI assessment is no simple questionnaire, and despite what some people may think, there are correct and incorrect answers on this test. By studying the characteristics assessed by the exam and revising practice questions in advance, you will be able to present a professional and genuine image of yourself to your prospective employer.
Prepterminal’s Hogan Personality test prep is a module-based course that features video and text. Our Hogan Personality Inventory prep course also includes mock HPI tests and quizzes so you can maximize your chance of HPI test success.