Master the 2023 Hogan Cognitive & Personality Assessment
Rapid Hogan Assessment Course
The Hogan Assessment is one of the most complex personality tests currently used by recruiters. You may not know the correct answers to these assessments, and you probably don’t entirely understand what your future employer is seeking.
- Length: 15-20 minutes average completion time
- Number of questions: 206 questions
You may even have been told the biggest lie in psychometric testing: that there’s no “right or wrong” answer to this kind of test. This is absolutely untrue, and you can learn how to decode this tricky exam and achieve a very high score with Prepterminal’s Hogan Assessment Prep Course, our 9-step modular solution to mastering the Hogan Assessment.
Click on Get Started on the sidebar to get instant access to this course and master the Hogan within hours!
What is the Hogan Assessment?
Hogan assessments come in two forms: those that test your thinking or cognitive abilities and those used to study your core personality. Employers use these tests to help them predict your potential work performance. They consider your values, problem-solving skills, strengths, weaknesses, working style, and motivations.
Hogan assessments are divided into two main categories: personality and cognitive ability tests. The Hogan Assessments include:
Rapid Hogan Assessment Course
- 1BONUS Interview Prep Video GuideBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 2IntroductionBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 3The Hogan Personality Inventory, Origins and ScalesBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 4The Seven Job Families and Their Recommended ScalesBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 5AnalogiesBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 6Deductive ReasoningBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 7Inductive ReasoningBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 8HBRI Practice TestsBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 9Hogan Scales PracticeBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
Hogan Personality Assessment Tests (HPI, HDS, & MVPI)
Hogan Personality Inventory (HPI)
The Hogan Personality Inventory is an assessment developed to measure the “bright side” of personality, namely the day-to-day nature of the candidate. The critical function of the evaluation is to determine whether or not candidates interact well with others. Therefore, the test helps employers identify if candidates can work together in a team environment, are capable of learning from more experienced individuals, and if they will excel as a leader or make effective followers.
Hogan Development Survey (HDS)
The Hogan Development Survey (HDS) exposes the “dark side” of a candidate’s personality, meaning how the individual will react when under pressure or in a stressful situation. In essence, it is their bad behavior. This survey is used to see what measures an individual will take to be successful and what things can derail their career or lead them to interact with peers negatively. This assessment is used to determine an employee’s risk factors. The employer will then either deal with these issues or decide that the employee isn’t suitable for a specific job role.
The HDS tests eleven behavioral tendencies that interfere with success:
- Terms of risk
- Mischievous Colorful
The HDS has 168 self-reporting test questions and has no time limit.
Hogan Motives, Values, Preferences Inventory (MVPI)
Employers use the MVPI to ensure that a candidate’s values keep with those of the organization. The MVPI can also help isolate areas of compatibility and conflict between different team members. Core values are components of our identity and make up our key motivators. Essentially, they are the things we want and are driven to attain.
The MVPI measures values according to 10 primary scales:
Motives, Values, Preferences Inventory (MVPI) has 200 self-reporting test questions. The assessment is untimed.
Hogan Cognitive Ability Assessment Tests – (Judgement, HBRI)
The Hogan Judgement model combines cognitive ability, “bright”- and “dark-side” personality, and values. It comprises two short numerical and verbal reasoning tests, three independent scales that measure non-cognitive attributes that affect how a candidate approaches a decision, and a review of post-decision reactions.
The Hogan Judgment Model divides judgment into three separate areas:
1. Learn – how the candidate learns. For example, do they learn through reading or pictures, or do they need to practice performing a given task? This section is used to determine which way is easiest for the candidate to learn the information they need to acquire to do well at their job.
2. Decide – how an individual arrives at their final decision. Do they go with their gut feeling, or do they amass all the information they can to make a carefully informed decision? What is the process behind their decision-making?
3. Adapt – how does a candidate react to the decision? For example, what happens if the decision they arrive at proves to be incorrect? Do they quickly try to fix the situation, or do they collapse? How well can the person handle the consequences of the decision?
The results of each section of the Judgement assessment are combined to create a general outline of your overall personality.
Hogan Business Reasoning Inventory (HBRI)
The Hogan Business Reasoning Inventory (HBRI) is a psychometric assessment tool that measures a candidate’s decision-making style and problem-solving skills.
The HBRI is a cognitive ability test that features three types of questions:
1. Verbal reasoning and logical thinking test questions, such as inductive and deductive reasoning questions and word analogy questions.
2. Numerical reasoning test questions, such as speed, time, and distance questions, interpreting tables and grapes, basic mathematical questions, and area calculations.
3. Abstract reasoning test questions, such as groups of shapes and rotation of shapes.
The HBRI comprises 24 questions. It is untimed; however, it typically takes 25-30 minutes to complete.
How Are the Hogan Tests Scored?
Hogan scores their assessment using a combination of normative test results and percentile ranking systems. First, a candidate’s results are compared with the results of thousands of other individuals who have taken the Hogan assessment. A percentile score is then used to determine a ranking.
Your test results will also be examined and interpreted by your potential employer, in relation to specific goals and objectives. Thus, your test results must be understood in connection with your current job and future career goals.
How to Pass the Hogan Assessment Test
Many leading companies around the world have decided to use Hogan’s online psychometric assessment to better their recruitment system. With years of experience, Hogan’s psychologists have put together assessments created specifically to help businesses recognize capable candidates that are trustworthy and competent.
Nevertheless, not all Hogan leadership assessments are straightforward, particularly for people who are not familiar with the style of the assessments. You should take the time to properly prepare prior to any Hogan assessment.
Prepterminal’s module-based course features both video and text, presenting information in an easy-to-digest format. We offer a variety of mock tests and quizzes, so you can gain familiarity with the format and types of questions on the Hogan assessments. Specifically, our prep course features seven core instructional guides, comprehensive HBRI study guides; complete HBRI full practice tests; over 200+ practice questions; and a dedicated Hogan Personality Inventory study guide.
Start preparing with Prepterminal today to ensure that you communicate your values to the company you are applying to, as accurately and clearly as possible.
*Note: Hogan and other trademarks are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with PrepTerminal or this website.
QQuincey JInformative for the subjectHelpful to understand the right answers
OOliver W.Did well on the testI was a tragedy on the practice test, but after I took the course I improved my result significantly and actually managed to pass the real test!
mmarioemondreal good stuffMakes it real!
CCarol W.Thank God I got that course!This course improved my results by around 30% and I passed! Totally worth the money!
TTim W.Do the practice test andDo the practice test and get you speed up to answer every questions! The three test are great. Videos offered quick thinking insight, so be sure to learn the tricks to make the best score possible.
SSoenke S.Very good courses, without themVery good courses, without them and train I would not so good succeed the real one.
SSmithGreat courseVery helpful, especially with simplifying the questions to get quick answers.
sswiremaninterestinginfo very helpful