The IBEW Electrical Aptitude Test: Free Practice and Study Guide (2022)
IBEW Electrical Aptitude Mastery Pack
If you want to become an electrician or start working in the electrical field, you will first have to pass the IBEW Electrical aptitude test.
While this may seem difficult, with Prepterminal’s Electrical aptitude test study guide, video guides, practice questions, and practice test, you can turn this hurdle into a great opportunity for success.
Introduction to the Electrician Aptitude Test
The IBEW aptitude test is one of the first things you need to pass before you can be considered for an electrical apprenticeship.
The IBEW test is used by the National Electrician Association (NEA) and the National Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee (NJATC) to make sure that all aspiring electricians are competent.
The test was designed to ensure that candidates have the ability to do basic algebra, comprehend written text related to the electrical field, and have mechanical aptitude skills.
What Does the IBEW Aptitude Test Include?
It is important that you also have good basic mathematical and English skills to pass the electrical aptitude test.
Each test-taker has around two and a half hours to complete the electrical apprenticeship aptitude test.
The IBEW aptitude test has two sections:
1. Algebra & Functions
This section assesses your ability to do basic operations using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. There will also be questions that will focus on fractions and solving linear and quadratic equations like square roots, quadratic formulas, graphing and practical applications.
There will also be questions regarding mechanical reasoning such as electrical loads, pulleys, balance, and basic mechanical theories.
These IBEW apprenticeship test questions will be job-specific. In other words, they will relate to electrical aptitudes or scenarios. Specifically, the IBEW test will ask you about aspects of electrical circuitry such as process flow and signal flow.
There are 33 math questions that you must complete in 46 minutes.
Take the Free IBEW Electrical Aptitude Test: Algebra & Functions
2. Reading Comprehension
This section will test your reading comprehension skills in the English language.
You will be given several passages to read and understand before answering questions regarding the passages previously read.
There will be 36 reading questions, and each test-taker has 51 minutes to answer all of them.
Take the Free IBEW Electrical Aptitude test: Reading Comprehension
The IBEW Aptitude Test Application Process
The IBEW aptitude test is just one part of the application process which usually follows these steps:
- Fill out and submit an application form.
- Prepare for and take the IBEW Apprenticeship Aptitude Test.
- Successfully have an interview with a representative or panel from IBEW and the director of the apprenticeship.
A good score on a mechanical reasoning test will let your potential employer know that you have good mechanical and spatial skills.
The test is computerized and carried out at your local NJATC test center.
On the day of the exam, you will need your photo ID. You will not be allowed to take the test without it. You are not allowed to use a calculator and will be given a pencil and scrap paper to work out your answers.
Based on current trends, only 4 out of 9 applicants are expected to pass the exam.
If you fail the IBEW electrical aptitude test the first time, you will need to wait six months before you will be allowed to take the test again. You should prepare as much as you can with our IBEW aptitude test study guide and IBEW practice test.
IBEW Electrical Aptitude Test
- 1IntroductionBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 3Electric Power
- 4Electrical Circuits
- 5Series & Parallel Circuits
- 6Mechanical Concepts
- 7Other Simple Machines
- 121/2/3/4 Operations
- 13Word Problems
- 16BONUS Interview Prep Video GuideBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
The Benefits of Passing the Electrician Aptitude Test
If you are fortunate enough to land an apprenticeship it will allow you to earn while you learn from the experts and gain a priceless certification.
There are many different electrical areas and you will be able to discover your favorite ones during your apprenticeship.
Some examples of specialist jobs in the electrician field are:
- Electrician: Deals with wire installations and connections.
- Electrical Engineer: Handles all the equipment and systems that stock and distribute the electricity
- Wireman: Reads technical diagrams and blueprints to install, maintain, and repair wiring.
- Outside Power Lineman: Installs and maintains overhead transmission lines that transfer electricity from power plants to homes and businesses.
- Sound and Communication Technician: Specializes in telecommunication devices, e.g. televisions, telephones, radio, and broadband equipment. Assembles, operates, and maintains equipment for recording sound.
How can I prepare for the IBEW Electrical Aptitude Test?
Fortunately, at Prepterminal, we have an electrical aptitude prep course that will guide you through the whole process. We have detailed video tutorials, an IBEW aptitude test study guide, and an IBEW practice test.
- Help you answer electrical problems with an intuitive understanding.
- Guidance in all the subject areas: Math, English, and Electrical aptitude.
- Provide detailed tutorial videos.
- Provide study guides and practice questions.
- Provide mock tests – full IBEW practice tests with question formats that appear in the actual IBEW.
All this material will help you track your progress and optimize your IBEW test score.
Secure your future by studying with our IBEW Aptitude Test Prep Course today!
QQuincey JInformative for the subjectHelpful to understand the right answers
OOliver W.Did well on the testI was a tragedy on the practice test, but after I took the course I improved my result significantly and actually managed to pass the real test!
mmarioemondreal good stuffMakes it real!
CCarol W.Thank God I got that course!This course improved my results by around 30% and I passed! Totally worth the money!
TTim W.Do the practice test andDo the practice test and get you speed up to answer every questions! The three test are great. Videos offered quick thinking insight, so be sure to learn the tricks to make the best score possible.
SSoenke S.Very good courses, without themVery good courses, without them and train I would not so good succeed the real one.
SSmithGreat courseVery helpful, especially with simplifying the questions to get quick answers.
sswiremaninterestinginfo very helpful