Learn how to Pass the English and Math Sections of the 2023 BKSB Test
If you intend to go to college or do an apprenticeship in Australia or the UK, the initial step will probably include completing the BKSB Test.
The BKSB initial assessment helps with apprenticeship selection and placement in the right class level. At Prepterminal, we will help you get ready for your BKSB assessment. We will provide you with the tools and materials you need to pass this test.
What BKSB test is and what does it Measure?
The BKSB Test measures an applicant’s aptitude in relation to English, Information Communication & Technology (ICT), and Math.
Passing the exam is a must for placement in courses for potential college students. It is also an essential part of many apprenticeship stages of trade employment.
There are two core assessments:
The BKSB Initial Assessment. This assessment tests basic skills. There is also an optional diagnostic assessment.
Neither of these assessments are timed. The core aim of the BKSB Test is to make sure that you can start your college process with courses that are suitable for your knowledge and skill level.
In relation to employment hiring, the aim of the Initial Assessment is to find candidates who have the basic skills necessary for good on the job performance or for success in the training programme.
BKSB Assessment is also used as a tool in the workplace to improve the level of skill of existing employees.
What Sections does the BKSB Assessment have?
BKSB English Test
The BKSB English test takes two formats: a paper-based test and an online exam.
The test features a variety of English language skills, including grammar, reading comprehension, punctuation, spelling, sentence structure, sentence sequencing, spelling, and vocabulary.
You will be presented with many different question formats. However, multiple-choice is commonly used. Many of the questions feature a passage and questions that will give you four alternative responses to choose from.
You must base your answer solely on the information presented in the written text. Tasks include a summary of passages, conclusions drawn from the writings, the author’s purpose, recalling information, and main ideas.
Questions checking your spelling abilities could feature a paragraph or a list. You may need to circle or underline all the words spelled incorrectly.
You could then be asked to spell these words correctly. Some of the questions will measure your grammar and vocabulary skills. They will ask you to finish a sentence by choosing an alternative that is grammatically accurate.
BKSB Maths Test
The maths assessment may be completed either online or as a paper-based assessment. Question features in this test are made up of basic maths calculations.
You will likely be presented with core mathematical topics, including subtraction, addition, division, and multiplication. You can also expect to be shown sequencing of numbers from smallest to largest, numbers written in words, word problems, fractions, ratios and percentages, and decimals.
It is highly recommended to review your math skills by working on practice tests prior to test day. This way you better your understanding of the material and the exam pattern.
BKSB Prep Course
- 1BKSB IntroBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 2Workplace DocumentsBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- Reading and Writing Memos and Emails - Written Guide
- Finding the Main Idea in a Text - Written Guide
- Following instructions – Written Guide
- Learning New Vocabulary from Context –Written Guide
- Using Documents to Make Decisions – Written Guide
- Acronyms, Jargon, & Technical Terms – Written Guide
- Understanding the Reasoning & Principles behind a Text – Written Guide
- Inferring Details & Reading between the Lines – Written Guide
- Drawing Conclusions & Making Decisions from Incomplete Information – Written Guide
- Workplace Documents Questions 1
- Workplace Documents Questions 2
- Workplace Documents Questions 3
- Workplace Documents Test 1
- Workplace Documents Test 2
- Workplace Documents Test 3
- 3SpellingBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 4AnalogiesBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 5AntonymsBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 61/2/3/4 OperationsBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 7Rates & ProportionBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 8RatioBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 9TablesBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 10Currency ExchangeBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 11PercentagesBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 12Numerical Reasoning TestBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
- 13BONUS Interview Prep Video GuideBuy this Course: Get full access to all lessons, practice tests and guides.
How is the BKSB Assessed?
The BKSB Assessment Engine relies on algorithms based on “best fit” and probability calculations. The Assessment Engine creates very accurate measurement results.
The Engine can identify the level of the student, and also the relationship between where the student currently is and their distance to the next level. For instance, a student may be placed as E3.1 (a low Entry 3) through to E3.5 (halfway through Entry 3) and on to E3.9 (approaching low Level 1).
The BKSB Functional Skills measurements span from Pre-Entry through to the point above Level 2. See the table below:
Prepare for BKSB Exam with Prepterminal
Preparing for the numerical and English parts of these exams will better your chances of acing the BKSB exam.
Practice will make sure that you have the skills and knowledge you need to succeed. It will also ensure you are familiar with the sorts of questions you will likely see on this exam.
If your aim is to start your college education with a full-credit, college-level course or to get a job as an apprentice, then you must make time to fully prepare.
Prepterminal has all the material and information you need to prepare for and ace your BKSB Assessment.
BKSB Assessment: FAQS
What is a BKSB test?
The BKSB Test measures skill levels for maths and information, English, and communication technology (ICT).
Passing the exam is a must for placement in courses for potential college students. It is also an essential part of many apprenticeship stages of trades employment.
What is BKSB short for?
It is short for Basic and Key Skills Builder.
How long does the BKSB test last?
The assessment does not come with a time limit. You can take all the time you need to complete the test.
How to prepare for the BKSB test?
Practice will make sure that you have the skills you need to ace this assessment. It will also help you become familiar with the types of questions you are likely to see.