CEB Assessment: What Expect on CEB SHL Test and How to Prepare For it
Last updated 09/2021
CEB/Gartner is a company that publishes a variety of psychometric tests. These tests are designed to help companies assess the skills and competencies of job candidates. These assessments are common and readily used by employers as they are a cost-effective and proven way to eliminate candidates who don’t have the skillset and technical abilities needed for a particular job
You may well be asked to take one of their assessments during a hiring process, especially if you are applying for a graduate job position. If you have been asked to sit a CEB test and want to prove to your prospective employer that you are the best candidate, make sure you take a look at PrepTerminal’s CEB SHL Course today!
So, what’s in our CEB SHL Prep Course?
- Information on how questions will be presented and constructed in your CEB SHL assessment so you’ll know precisely how to tackle CEB SHL assessment questions on the real exam
- A breakdown of the hidden logic behind CEB tests
- Strategies on how to overcome the testing-traps created by the test designers, so you can prove to your employer that you have the skills for the job
Note that we are currently offering you the opportunity to take SHL diagnostic practice tests for numerical, verbal, inductive, deductive, mechanical, and situational judgement for FREE.
See what your initial testing level is, so you can monitor your progress throughout our CEB test prep course. At the end of our CEB SHL prep course, you will have proof of the amazing progress you have made.
SHL Rapid Prep Course
★★★★★ (4.5/5) 11 Reviews
The SHL course covers the following topics:
- SHL Verbal Reasoning
- SHL Numerical Reasoning
- SHL Inductive Reasoning
- SHL Mechanical Reasoning
- Occupational Personality Questionnaire(OPQ)
- SHL Motivation Questionnaire
- SHL Situational Judgement
About CEB SHL
The company CEB, formally known as SHL, was a UK-based psychometric test developer providing international online services. Their tests are used by employers to evaluate and compare a number of abilities in job candidates, and cover numerical, verbal, and diagrammatic reasoning tests, inductive reasoning tests, personality questionnaires, and motivation questionnaires delivered either online or on paper. The company operates in over 30 languages, deploys solutions in over 150 countries and maintains a presence in over 50 countries, and is a trusted partner to 90% of the Fortune 500, nearly 75% of the Dow Jones Asian Titans, and over 85% of the FTSE 100.
CEB was acquired by Gartner in April 2017 in a $2.6bn deal. On July 16, 2018, the CEB brand was phased out and fully integrated into Gartner. The SHL tests remain as a psychometric tool, now under the branch of Gartner.
CEB SHL Cognitive and Aptitude Tests
CEB SHL tests are formulated in order to provide a deep understanding of candidates applying for job positions through an objective approach to assessing multiple characteristics for a multivariate analysis of numerous facets.
Prepterminal has produced comprehensive course content for those looking to practice for their SHL assessment. Making use of text/video modules in order to build a deep understanding of every component of the test along with mock assessments in order to benchmark progress, our test preparation pack is a one-stop shop to test success. Get started with our SHL test prep packages in order to get one step closer to your dream job.
SHL tests are available to employers for use at every level of position, ranging from entry-level administration to senior executive roles. SHL tests may also be used for the purpose of developing existing staff – it is not only a tool for selection/assessment. The most widely used tests of the SHL suite of aptitude tests are the SHL Verify range of tests, including but not limited to:
1. SHL Numerical Reasoning Tests: These tests assess a candidate’s capability when faced with numerical, statistical, financial, and graphical data, and their ability when required to make deductions based on that data. The questions in these tests are applied to the job position in question, meaning that they are formulated to accurately represent real challenges that may arise in the workplace. The SHL Verify Numerical Reasoning Test consists of 18 questions and lasts between 17-25 minutes depending on the job level being applied for.
2. SHL Verbal Reasoning Tests: These tests gauge a candidate’s ability to understand and form logical deductions based on verbal/written data. In a majority of cases, some written information that is relevant to the workplace is given to the candidate, who is required to answer questions based on this information. The SHL verbal reasoning tests consist of 30 questions and typically last 17-19 minutes depending on the job level being applied for.
3. SHL Inductive Reasoning Tests: These tests assess a candidate’s ability to solve problems on their feet and deal with unfamiliar information. More abstract questions are posed to the candidate, requiring a degree of skill in conceptual and analytical thought, often involving shapes and patterns. In essence, the candidate needs to demonstrate an ability to draw inferences and identify relationships between various abstract concepts, outside of learned knowledge. The SHL Verify Inductive Reasoning Test consists of 24 questions and is 25 minutes long.
4. SHL Mechanical Reasoning Tests: These tests measure a candidate’s understanding of basic mechanical and physical principles, and the application of these principles to devices such as pulleys, gears, and levers. This test draws a random set of questions for the candidate from a very large item bank in order to ensure that there is no chance of previous exposure to that exact test. The SHL Mechanical Reasoning Tests last for 25 minutes.
5. SHL Reading Comprehension Tests: These tests gauge a candidate’s ability to comprehend written sources so that they may extract relevant information and make relevant judgments on the basis of this information. The SHL Reading Comprehension Tests consist of 18 questions and typically last for 10 minutes.
6. SHL Deductive Reasoning Tests: These tests measure a candidate’s ability to draw logical conclusions based on a given premise. These tests commonly feature questions delivered in the form of premises establishing some logical constraints, requiring the candidate to select a statement that is consistent with said logical constraints or to state the truthfulness of a given statement in relation to the premise.
SHL Management and Graduate Item Bank (MGIB): This is a collection of tests aimed at graduate and management level positions, assessing multiple facets of a candidate’s skills at a higher difficulty level than the standard Verify tests. The tests included are verbal, numerical, and productive thinking ability tests. The verbal reasoning test has a time limit of 25 minutes, the numerical reasoning test limit is 35 minutes, and the productive thinking ability test comes with a 32-minute time limit.
In addition to these tests, SHL produces a number of tailor-made tests for companies based on specifications relevant to the job role, in order to achieve an extreme level of accuracy when assessing a candidate’s fit for a job role. As these tests are made exactly to specification for a given job role, they often assess multiple reasoning abilities within the same test for a comprehensive understanding of the candidate’s suitability for the job.
Whichever SHL Test you need to take, Prepterminal offers a range of comprehensive course materials in order to ensure increased success in this range of tests. Featuring text/video-based modules and mock assessments as formulated by our expert psychometricians, our SHL Test preparation packs offer a ground-up approach to learning all the concepts contained within the exams in order to achieve a fundamental understanding of the test content. Our mock SHL assessments provide the opportunity to benchmark your success as you improve your ability to pass this test with ease. If you wish to overcome the challenges posed by the SHL test without worry, sign up for our course material today.
CEB SHL Scoring
SHL tests are graded on the basis of performance percentiles, meaning that a candidate’s success is relative to the performance of others in the same industry and job position who have previously taken the test, making the tests an excellent tool for benchmarking the potential of candidates relative to those already in the industry. SHL defines two categories of norm groups for assessment: Industry and Job Level:
- Accountancy & Financial
- Public Service
- Telecom & Media
- Industry & Manufacturing
- Law & Legal
- Pharma, Science & Healthcare
- Managerial & Professional
- Junior Management
- Junior Customer Contact
- Senior Customer Contact
- Skilled Technology
- Skilled Technical
- Semi-Skilled Technical
Using these two dimensions for the definition of norm groups, a candidate is assessed based on their industry and level, and percentile grading is used to assess for a fit to that particular job level in that particular industry, where the 50th percentile is the mean and median level, with higher percentiles being more favorable (for instance, being in the 80th percentile means one has outperformed 80% of candidates) and lower percentiles being less favorable.
Grading for percentiles is given below:
|A||Well Above Average||99-92|
|E||Well Below Average||8-1|
For ease of understanding, a visual representation of the distribution is given below:
In essence, this grading system allows companies to seek out those who are in categories B and C in order to ensure the recruitment and development of only good and exceptional candidates while eliminating those who are mediocre or poor.
In order to ensure that you are seen by prospective employers as good or exceptional, it is highly advised to take the time to prepare for the SHL range of tests. Prepterminal’s course content is ideal for those looking to refine their skills and pass from yellow into green. When applying an SHL test to prospective employees, employers won’t be giving second chances. Take a step in the right direction by using our preparation packs and get all the practice you need in advance so that when you enter the real thing you are not going in blind. Get one step closer to your dream job with Prepterminal, and reap the rewards of preparedness.
*Note: SHL and other trademarks are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with PrepTerminal or this website.